SOS Turtles Network In Kerkennah
Marine Turtles in Kerkennah Archipelago are constantly facing bycatch therefore their life is always threatened. This is why Youth & Science Kerkennah have been working on rescuing marine turtles and encouraging locals to do the same to reduce risks. In fact, AJSK aims to raise awareness among fishermen and citizens about the importance of Marine Turtles Conservation for our ecosystem and teach them ways to contribute to this cause.
To improve the involvement of fishermen in the conservation of sea turtles, the knowledge of the younger generation, and rescued sea turtles rates, AJSK launched this project which is composed of complementary activities based on a participative approach, using training, supervising, and capacity building of fishermen.
This project consists of:
- Awareness-raising activities will be carried out with the sons of fishermen who represent the majority of schoolchildren. Consumption can only be solved by raising awareness among fishermen and relatives.
- Elaborating visual content for awareness for Kerkennah visitors
- Equipping a sea turtle treatment room, with a basin for sea turtles for accommodation and other equipment needed for first aid intervention.
- Reinforcement of capacity of AJSK team to insure better managing of rescuing activities
- Train fishermen on how to handle injured marine turtles, to reduce threats of by-catch on marine turtles
- Equip fishermen with a first aid kit to facilitate their intervention in case of accidental capture. Turtles will be transported to treatment room of our association.